Many people ask me the same question: if starting an online business is so easy, why doesn't everyone do it? That is a great question, but the truth is that whoever tries to tell you that starting an internet business is easy is grossly exaggerating. The truth is that an online business can be quicker and cheaper to start, but that by no means is to say that it is easy or won't take time. To ensure your success, make sure that you carefully devise sound Internet marketing strategies.

You will hear a lot of conflicting opinions about what Internet marketing strategies should you use: social media, link building, seo, etc. The truth is that a great strategy is to incorporate multiple sources to get traffic and build your brand.

You should start with just one, perfect it, than add another element to it. And remember, that things will change online and you will need to adjust your strategy accordingly. Sound complicated? It can be, and that is why so few people actually enjoy any real success with an online business.

It can be done, but if you plan on treating your internet marketing business more like a hobby rather than a business, it will fail. Even if you do see some success it will be limited. So, where should you begin? What skills do you need to learn first?

Well, to a degree, that is up to you. All of those "gurus" who tell you that you need to concentrate on seo or link building (which technically is an element of seo) or social media, etc. are telling you to start there for one of two reasons:
one, they have personally had success with that method and it is the method they are familiar with, and / or two, they are trying to sell a product that will teach you that method.

It's not necessarily a bad strategy but you do have to understand the motivation of the people and that their opinions are just that - opinions.

In my opinion you should start with some basic seo knowledge and the first element of that is learning to do keyword research. Once you know how to pick out the best keywords you can then add those keywords (or have someone do it for you) to your website for what is called onsite seo.

Though this may sound complicated, it isn't really. But it will take time to learn how to do it. That is where you should start. Or, the other thing you can do is to hire someone to do it for you, but I would recommend you learn at least the basics so that you can "watch over" the person doing the work for you. If you know nothing about how it all works, you can't know whether or not the person you hired even knows what they are doing.

That is the reason I would recommend you take a little time and learn some basics.

You can continue to learn new elements as you go along, again something I would recommend. This is some sound Internet marketing strategies that you can follow for the best chance of success.